Here is a list of things you can keep in mind before, during and after receiving massage…
- Arrive 5-10 minutes before your appointment time. Often, my schedule is full and if you are late I may not be able to run overtime.
- Take a deep breath and relax. This is your time to let go of all that you carry, what it took to get here and what you will do after… A quick body scan is helpful and will get you present-when you are on the table visualize your body from the toes up and notice if you are holding anywhere. Engage the body part by clenching or flexing the muscle, then release, soften.
- Use your breath! When a tender spot is touched breathe deeply as if you have lungs right in that part of your body. Feel the area open and expand with the inhale and release and relax with the exhale.
- Use your words! Releasing with words or sounds makes the experience so much deeper. A sigh, an “ah” or whatever you like-just make sound!! Sighing from a high pitch to a low pitch releases oxytocin, the hormone that acts a neurotransmitter that can improve mood, ease stress, enhance sleep and reduce the sensation of pain. It not only benefits you, it let’s me know what is working (and maybe what’s not). Want me to go deeper? Ask. Want me to be gentler? Tell me.
- Drink plenty of water. Suggested daily intake of water is 2-4 litres.
- Take the rest of the day off. Eat a light meal. Soak in a bath with Epsom salts if possible.
- Schedule your next massage 🙂